Pet Safety During a Tornado
- Make sure that your pet has a collar with its identification on it. Even better, get your pet microchipped.
- Make sure that your pets' medication is all filled.
- Have enough food and water stored away for your pet to feed them for a few weeks.
- Put your pet in a hard carrier cage while you are riding out the tornado in your designated spot.
- Make sure that your pet is on a leash if you go outdoors after the tornado has passed. There is likely to be many downed electrical wires and many dangerous objects from the flying debris of the storm.
- Keep a Pet First Aid Kit on hand in case your pet is injured during the tornado.
- If you are separated from your pet make sure that you go in to your local shelter and leave your pets information. Someone may recognize your pet and be able to return him/her back to you.